Written on: July 31, 2021
Should I Repair or Replace My Oil-fired Heating System?
Having a reliable and efficient home heating system is really important here in Westchester County, NY, and southern CT, where we rely on our furnace or boiler for almost two-thirds of the year.
If you’re not sure if your heating equipment will make it through another heating season, don’t worry, we’re here to help: whether you need to fix or upgrade your equipment, we have options for you.
If you’re on the fence about repairing vs. replacing, here are some guidelines to consider:
Consider repairing your equipment if:
- Your system is less than 10 years old
- It can be fixed with a reasonable chance there won’t be further similar issues
- Your equipment is properly sized for your home.
- The problems are relatively minor.
- Repair costs are 25 percent of the cost of replacement or less
- Your monthly energy bills have risen by less than 10 percent since last year
- Your system has been repaired less than twice over the last decade
Consider replacing your equipment if:
- Your system is 10 years old or older
- Damage is severe
- Your system is undersized for your home (if you’ve built a house addition since installing it, for example)
- The repair costs more than 25 percent of replacement costs (especially on older equipment)
- Your monthly energy bills have gone up by more than 10 percent since last year
- Your system has been repaired more than twice over the last decade
Take Care of Your Heating System Now – Avoid Hassles Later
Many advantages come with attending to your heating system while the weather is still warm. You’ll enter the heating season with a clear head and equipment that’s working at peak condition. You’ll also get access to more convenient service appointment times, and you’ll have better odds of finding incentives that could save you a bundle if you have to replace your heating system.
The bottom line: taking care of your heating system now, rather than early fall, is a no-brainer – give Westmore Fuel a call today and let’s get started!