Late Fall and Winter Checklist
Temperatures are dropping quickly here in Connecticut and New York – are you ready for the cold weather to come?
Here’s a checklist to make sure you are:
- Weatherize – Besides making you feel less comfortable, drafts and air leaks will also raise your energy bill and make your furnace or boiler work harder to do their job – which could lead to more heating system repairs and a shorter lifespan for your heating equipment. Measures such as caulk, weather stripping, and door sweeps will help you manage air leaks without breaking the bank.
- Check air filters regularly – Clogged air filters also make your heating system overwork. Check your air filter once a month during heating season, cleaning or replacing it if needed.
- Keep vents and baseboards clear – Wipe down your vents as often as possible to keep dust and debris out of your HVAC system. Move any furniture or other objects that may hamper heat transfer into your room.
- Listen for unusual noises – Noises in your system can be created by a number of things – register blockages, debris in the vents, or loose parts, to name a few. If noises are persistent, call for service.
- Reverse your ceiling fan –
It may sound counter-intuitive to run ceiling fans in the winter, but if they’re turning in the proper direction, they will actually push rising warm air back into the room. See manufacturer’s instructions for how to reverse the direction of your fan blades.
- Replace important batteries – Check and change the batteries on your carbon monoxide, and smoke detectors. Safety is always priority # 1!
- Schedule preventive maintenance – Preventive heating system maintenance will keep your equipment running efficiently and reliably all season long, so you’ll pay less for your bills and get more peace of mind (hint: our high value Service Plans include an annual tune-up, plus other benefits). If you find you need to repair an older heating system, consider a sensible heating system upgrade – contact us for a FREE, no obligation estimate.
Stay one step ahead of the weather this fall and winter with convenient services from the pros at Westmore. Contact us today to learn more!