Written on: December 27, 2021
How To Avoid Frozen Pipes
What to Do If You’re Leaving Home
If you’re planning a winter getaway, we’ve provided some steps you can take before you leave your home empty. This can help you avoid the catastrophe of frozen pipes should you lose your heat when you’re not home.
- Don’t turn off your heating system! Keep it running on the heat setting and don’t lower it below 60° F to help prevent pipes from freezing. You may want to adjust the thermostat setting a little higher if temperatures are forecasted to be especially frigid while your home is vacant.
- Install a Wi-Fi smart thermostat. This lets you manage heating (and cooling) remotely from your smartphone; it also sends you low-temperature alerts.
- Keep kitchen cabinet doors open to keep heat flowing to uninsulated pipes there.
- Make sure all windows and doors are closed and sealed. Close shutters and check locks on all windows and doors.
- Shut off the main water valve; this will minimize damage if a pipe breaks.
- Unplug appliances to protect them from power surges (which are common when power is restored after an outage) and reduce the risk of fire. You’ll also cut your energy bills by reducing the energy drawn from what is known as “vampire” appliances. Those are the ones that draw electric current even when they’re turned off. These include computers and computer-related equipment (modems, routers, etc.), cable or satellite TV boxes, and surround sound systems.
- Close the flue on your wood fireplace. This will prevent snow, rain or small animals from getting into your home. It will also prevent heat from escaping.
- Have someone check your home on a regular basis. That person can contact you if there’s a problem and give us access to fix a heating problem m.
- If you’re an automatic delivery customer, let us know you’re going away. Remember, the timing of your heating oil delivery is based on an estimate calculated from your past usage and the current weather. If you’re going away – especially if you plan to be gone for a few weeks – let us know so we can revise our delivery plan accordingly.
A secure supply, ultra clean-burning Westmore Advantage.
Feel free to contact us to learn more about Westmore Fuel, a company built around its customers.