Written on: November 19, 2018
Best Ways to Prevent Running out of Heating Oil
Let’s face it, life can get pretty hectic these days – and when it does, it’s easy to forget a “little thing” like remembering to check the fuel levels in your heating oil tank.
The only problem is running out of heating oil isn’t a “little” thing.
Besides the inconvenience and potential hazards of living in a cold house during wintertime, a heating oil runout can cause problems with clogged filters and fuel lines as sediment from the bottom of your heating oil tank works its way through your heating system. Having no heat at home could also cause your pipes to freeze, which can do a lot of costly damage.
The bottom line: having no heat is no fun.
To avoid a heating oil runout in your Connecticut or New York home,
- Choose automatic delivery – Let Westmore worry about managing your heating oil deliveries; our tracking system will know when you’re ready for a heating oil delivery based on your past usage and the current weather.
- If you choose to monitor your own heating oil levels, do it regularly – especially when temperatures dip.
- Order when your tank is no less than 25 percent full (sooner during a cold snap). Don’t wait until the last minute; instant deliveries are not always possible.
- Consider installing an electronic tank gauge to monitor your heating oil level.
- Secure your oil tank to prevent theft.
If you do run out of heating oil,
- Take immediate steps to retain the heat you have in your house: close curtains, block under-door drafts, hang blankets over doorways, etc.
- If you have other heating appliances such as fireplace, space heater, or electric heater, use them. NEVER use outdoor equipment (barbecues, outdoor stoves, etc.) indoors – carbon monoxide build up can be extremely dangerous or even deadly.
- Contact Westmore for an emergency heating oil delivery at (888) 696-4031.
If you run out of heating oil this fall or winter, don’t panic – contact Westmore Fuel Co. Our experts will fix your oil burner, take care of any problems that arise, and refill your tank to keep your family safe and warm in your CT or NY home.